Full-Time: Canon for Congregational Life - Profile & Job Description
Employer: Christ Church Cathedral
Contact: The Cathedral Dean
Christ Church Cathedral is the cathedral for the Episcopal Church in Connecticut. The Cathedral has a vocation in God’s mission both in the city of Hartford, in the Episcopal Church in Connecticut and as a cathedral in the 21st century.
The Cathedral seeks a full- time Canon for Congregational Life to assist the Dean in the general life, ministry, outreach and worship of the Cathedral Congregations.
The Canon for Congregational Life will work, in consultation with the Dean, to provide leadership for the spiritual welfare, pastoral care, Christian formation and worship life of the Cathedral’s faith community. While the Dean bears the ultimate responsibility for liturgical oversight, the coordinating and executing of liturgy is a shared responsibility with the Canon for Congregational Life.
The Canon for Congregational Life is called by the Dean, consented by the Bishop, and is and accountable to the Dean in all matters of job performance and review. The Canon for Congregational Life extends and supports the Dean’s ministry in the Cathedral Congregation. The Canon for Congregational Life works with Cathedral staff and volunteers, exercising lead responsibility in tasks and areas assigned by the Dean.
Recently ordained clergy are encouraged to apply.
Specific responsibilities of the Canon for Congregational Life include:
- Under the Dean’s supervision and authority, the Canon for Congregational Life will support the Dean in the following:
- Provides for and oversees pastoral care for all parishioners (English and Spanish-speaking), including members who are homebound and those in the hospital; also includes pastoral counseling and pre-marital counseling.
- Serves as primary clergy for La Catedral, our Spanish-speaking congregation.
- Develops and executes an outreach/ evangelism program reaching out to Latinos at Capital Community College.
- Develops and facilitates Christian Formation programs, working in collaboration with lay leaders, for all ages and including those that foster spiritual growth and deepen spirituality.
- Works under the direction of the Dean in providing liturgical leadership for Cathedral worship, and takes specific responsibility for the shaping, leading and coordination of Church by the Pond liturgy and Wednesday noon services.
- Provides leadership/ support to our Cathedral Healing Ministries program.
- Provides leadership/ support to our Cathedral Ministry Teams and develops new teams and programs as needed.
- Assists the Dean in providing support and leadership to the Cathedral Parish Committee.
- Develops and executes Annual Stewardship Campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean. The Dean and Canon for Congregational Life share a unique collegial relationship, — conferring frequently and collaborating fully. In all aspects of parish life and participation, the Canon for Congregational Life fosters a culture of shared ministry in service to God’s mission.
The position is initially for a three- years’ term, with the possibility of renewal upon completion of this term.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Pastoral care
- Christian Formation
- Ecclesia Ministry
- Leadership Development
- New member incorporation
- Primary commitment to, and articulation of, the mission of God
Qualifications & Specific Skills:
- An ordained person with an understanding of his or her unique gifts and the desire to support others in discovering and using their unique gifts as they participate in God’s mission.
- Bilingual (Fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish).
- A heart for pastoral care.
- Pastoral sensitivity and ability to be present.
- Strong preaching skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively with other lay and clergy leaders.
- Excellent skills in organizing people and administering programs.
- Cultural competency and compassionate leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to self-start.
- Ability to plan ahead and be flexible at the same time.
- Strong familiarity with Episcopal Church structure, language, polity, and culture.
- Ability to teach and oversee leadership development.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Technical proficiency with office systems, software, and social media.
Christ Church Cathedral: A place for all God’s people
To apply please contact:
The Very Rev. Miguelina Howell
Christ Church Cathedral
45 Church Street, Hartford, CT 06103
Email: [email protected]
Office: 860-527-7231 ext.5
Text message: 973-930-7333