Christ Church Cathedral has a long-standing and active music program, which serves both our worship congregations and the Hartford community at large. Quality instruments, accomplished and dedicated musicians, and an historic worship space with ideal acoustics encourage congregational participation in our worship. The music program’s mission and purpose is to facilitate and help lead the congregation to worship in the Anglican tradition.
Founded in 1884 as a men and boys choir, the Cathedral Choir has grown to include girls' and adult women’s voices as well. The Cathedral Choir sings nearly every Sunday and for special liturgies from September to June. We sing a widely varied repertoire ranging from plainchant up to 21st century composers, with a special emphasis on music of the Tudor era and Anglican Chant. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Cathedral Choir, please contact the Interim Music Director, Thomas Whitestone.
Christ Church Cathedral is one of the longest-standing members of RSCM in America. We use RSCM materials and methods in the training of both our children and adult choristers.
Association of Anglican Musicians Raymond Glover, general editor of The Hymnal 1982, author of The Hymnal 1982 Companion, and former organist and choirmaster of Christ Church Cathedral, was a founding member of the American Cathedral Organists and Choirmasters Association in 1966 (later renamed the Association of Anglican Musicians).
Cuatro Puntos, Artists-in-Residence “Cuatro Puntos" means "four points" in Spanish, and references the dedication of the collective of chamber musicians to bring people from all parts of the world together through music. Musical diplomacy is key to their mission of spread chamber musicians, the group cites diplomacy as key to their mission of spreading peace and understanding through musical partnerships around the world while always striving for the highest in artistic excellence.
Austin Organ, Opus 2417
French double harpsichord by Hubbard, professionally re-built in 2007 by Anderson. It has a disposition of 2x8’ and 1x4’ choirs, a buff stop, and coupling keyboards.
The Cathedral’s bell tower was enlarged in 1912 to accommodate this 12-bell carillon. It is played every Sunday before and after the worship service.